A Friend After 50 Years

A record of one journey into a peculiar type of Quaker Christianity, and a bit of silliness to boot.

Name:
Location: Arkansas

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Deepening liberality

Some blogging liberal Friends describe themselves using some iteration of "conservative", e.g. "conservative leaning" or some such combination. Conservative in this sense refers more to the religious realm than the political. Reading their posts, I am often in sympathy with the desire for deeper and more authentic spirituality. However, without getting to hung up on terminology, I prefer to think of my own quest as "deepening liberality." With all the beatings "liberalism" is taking these days, I guess I want to stand up for it and assert its essential seriousness, and yes, even morality. On the other hand, the deeper we go, the more we find the essential unity. I guess when you get right down to it, I don't see a conflict between true conservatism and the liberal spirit. Its unfortunate that these terms get frozen into stereotypical notions.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great point of view. Perhaos this is one of the most entertaining blogs I read all day. It is not that fact that I was awed with the topic, but the establishment of arguments were enough to convince my doubtful mind

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

'What can I do?' - SiCKO