A Friend After 50 Years

A record of one journey into a peculiar type of Quaker Christianity, and a bit of silliness to boot.

Name:
Location: Arkansas

Monday, November 19, 2007

Karen Armstrong Interview on NPR

I listened to this interview with Karen Armstrong after a Friend sent me the link. Armstrong has what seems to me a mature and enlightened approach toward scripture that I found most encouraging -- a way to engage with a view to how it speaks to us, accepting that there is much to struggle with (she points out that "Israel" means "one who wrestles with God" ). I appreciate how this approach neither forces us to accept meaningless formulations nor requires us to flush our tradition wholesale (a reaction I encounter among some of my beloved Friends!) because we find parts of it difficult or no longer edifying.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Heneghan said...

If you’re interested in Karen Armstrong, you might want to look at her latest interview on Pakistan, Islam and secularism in the Reuters religion blog FaithWorld.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

'What can I do?' - SiCKO