A Friend After 50 Years

A record of one journey into a peculiar type of Quaker Christianity, and a bit of silliness to boot.

Name:
Location: Arkansas

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

An INS raid in the Bible Belt

Having lived in Arkansas for a good 25 years or so, I have come to appreciate this place and its people in many ways. They have taught me valuable lessons about honesty, humility, humor, and a livable pace. Nevertheless, I sometimes have to cringe at news stories from elsewhere about my adopted state. Old stereotypes, some partly deserved, others not, linger in the national imagination. But the story told in this article from the L.A. Times is one that I think any locale should be proud to claim. Having lived and worked here for decades, the story is not that surprising to me. But I will say I was very moved by it. The humanity of "Arkansas people" shines through and I'm glad this story has been told. Hopefully it will help to dispel a sterotype or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

'What can I do?' - SiCKO